Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Norton Simon Museum

I arrived around 3:00pm to the Norton Simon Museum. I had not been there since I was in middle school and I thought that it would be the perfect place to go and see fine art. The current exhibitions there were "The Familiar Face: Prints by Rembrandt", and "Gaze: Portraiture after Ingres." So I had a plan when I entered the museum, it was to see how much art I could push into my head and see how different things are from European style to American.

First I stumbled upon the Rembrandt prints and discovered that some were the size of napkins. They were really tiny and you could tell were sketched with such fine precision because the detail was absolutely amazing. I then found myself looking at European art and looking at very Gothic pieces along the way and many of those pieces had the "Wave" that we discussed in class it was very interesting.

Then I came upon ancient art downstairs. Many Indian and Asian pieces of Gods and folklore. Yes, there were many dancing Shivas but it was all very beautiful and very amazing because of the age to these pieces. Then I saw interesting pieces of the god of death Mahakala which were awesome depictions.

Looking through the museum I found that most of the art was so timeless and pieces of history. That they were of their time and that's made them classic. Few caught my eye but the ones that did were Horace Vernet's, "Soldier on the Field of Battle", and an abstract piece of art by Vasily Kandinsky called "Heavy Circles Unequal".

The museum was an awesome place and I hope to go there soon because I only got an hour of touring it because I had very little time this past week. All in all the Norton Simon is a beautiful place and hopefully the outside garden where all those sculptures are will be open.

No comments:

Post a Comment